6 Beauty Tips to Glowing Skin
Ever since Eve took that first bite of the apple, the human race has been obsessed with beauty.
The truth is once you hit your mid-twenties, you are now in the ageing process. So, it is important to take measures to prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
Every day you are bombarded with commercial messages and beauty tips that attempt to lure you into believing that the most recent miracle drug is just what you need to fight off the ravages of Mother Nature.
Our founder Mandy has been banging on this particular drum for over 30 years "The best path to natural beauty and healthy skin is to take care of what you have" Sounds simple, doesn’t it? The truth is that your skin takes a beating from the environment every single day. Here are some of our favorite beauty tips for keeping your skin fresh and healthy:
- Stay hydrated, drink water! That does not mean softdrink, caffeine, or any other type of liquid, even if it is low calories. Softdrink (even diet) has a high concentration of sodium. Sodium retains fluids. You need fluid that will hydrate and flush your body free of toxins. Make sure you are drinking at least 1litre a day!
- Protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. We all love the sun. We love being in it and we love having a beautiful tan. The truth is you can poison yourself with too much sunshine. UV rays cause skin cancer and if that isn’t bad enough it causes your skin to age faster than it should, contributing to unsightly wrinkles. If you must play in the sun, make certain you are using an adequate sunscreen. Don’t leave home without it!
- Keep your skin clean. Wash your face and apply moisturizer every day! Make room in your budget to fit in a facial every three months for some extra love and care.
- The best cure for wrinkles is to never have them in the first place! If you are like most of us, you didn’t listen to your Mum when she tried to tell you to stay in the shade, stand up straight and stop squinting!
- Eat well and often. Knowing how, what and when to eat, can make a huge difference in how you feel. Improper eating habits can cause depression, weight gain, illness and overall lethargy. It also doesn’t help your skin. So make sure to eat a balanced food plan that suits your metabolism. Weight gain causes your skin to stretch. As you get older, it loses its elasticity and you're left with sagging skin. The best solution to this is to maintain a steady weight over the years and avoiding yoyo diets and extreme eating plans.
- Don't worry, be happy. A happy outlook appears to trigger the release of endorphins. Endorphins relax the cardiovascular system and cytokines which alert the immune system to pay attention to detecting abnormalities. Listen carefully to yourself. If you have put yourself down since childhood, over a lifetime, negative subliminal messages can take their toll by turning you into a pessimist. Spend one week writing down the phrases you use in your “self-talk.” Chances are you will find that you repeat a dozen or so phrases over and over again that reinforce that negative image. If you know about them, you can change them. Outer beauty and inner joy go hand in hand.
Here are a few quick tips for increasing joy, hope and optimism that will work no matter what your age:
- Make a list of at least 3 great things that happen to you every day.
- Laugh a lot. You’ll heal your body and your mind. Find that person who just makes you laugh out loud whether you are grocery shopping or out socialising.
- Discover a new challenge each month.
- Try stretching and meditating for just five minutes each day.